Looking through most cattleman’s eyes the above cow is unremarkable or even undesirable. Let’s consider the facts:
- Of unknown ancestry she was bought pregnant by my brother, Wessel.
- Coming from a background of no supplementation (only paper and rags) she refused any form of supplement, except possibly salt.
- She calved the first time under new management on 20 November 2017 and again 22 September 2018 giving an ICP of 337 days.
- Through OBSERVATION her first heat this year was detected on 30 November 2018 – 69 days post calving during the driest part of the year.
Surely this cow is an anomaly:
- Tribal/village ancestry
- No performance records / No EPDs.
- Poor condition / No supplementation.
Yet, she is extremely fertile under conditions of poor nutrition and, judging by the photo of her current calf, also a very good mother.
What else can we possibly desire? Surely this is the type of cow we all need. How many more are out there hidden due to ignorance and arrogance on our part?
She has been identified by observation and not by modern “scientific” breeding (scale, tape measure and computer).