Inherent good Body Condition is the result of a high Relative Intake, an indicator of Grass Conversion Efficiency and the major determinant of a good Immune System as well as Practical Fertility.
Relative Intake is dependent on:
- Frame Size. The smaller and heavier the better.
- Climatic Adaptation.
- Disease / Parasite Resistance.
- Aggressive grazing behaviour.
Very simple. Why not more veld productive genotypes? Because:
- Selection for absolute growth.
- Selection for Feed Conversion “Efficiency”.
All “scientific” selection practices are negatively correlated to Inherent Body Condition and Practical Fertility. The quicker we can discard “Science” and start using Common Sense the better.